Tuesday, November 13, 2007

p & a love pdx (and p loves maps)

In addition to all of the changes I've made around the site (because I can't leave well-enough alone), I have finally cleaned up our map feature and incorporated it into this page, instead of relegating it to a separate blog. It is still accessible from a link in the sidebar, and we will dutifully try to keep it up-to-date with the locations of our favorite places that we've written about.

I've been steadily compiling quirky web-based maps of Portland for some time now, intending to share them once we'd gotten all of that wedding business out of our systems. Now seemed like a perfect time to start posting about them, having just updated our own map. And then I looked down at my list. All of these maps seemed tailor-made for summertime pursuits - it would take a particularly hearty sort to go out adventuring in the rain, especially for an ice cream tour. Trust me, they only get more fair-weather from there.

But reading over the maps I'd collected, I came across one that seemed like it could still be able to rouse a few of us from this dreary weather malaise -
happy hours! I'll leave my house in a hail-storm for half-priced drinks and snacks. This is maybe a tad over-dramatic since it only rained yesterday morning; it isn't quite time to pack it in and hibernate for the season. And honestly, it shouldn't take the promise of a drink to get me out during the fall and winter - that doesn't speak very well to my character.

So to dispel the first cold rains of the autumn, and to encourage those of you in PDX to get out and take advantage of our fair city (myself included), I share with you a handful of the great online maps I've come across.

unthirsty.com Happy Hour Map: For a user-generated database filled in by drunks, it's surprisingly accurate and informative. It lists hours and specials with the aid of some morbidly adorable little cartoons.

Willamette Week's Homemade Ice-cream Map: WW runs down their favorites of local ice-cream (not gelato) parlors. I see a few omissions that could lead to A and I needing to do some "research." Best for a global-warming winter day.

Hidden Portland Small Museums Map: Carrie Bye, the artist behind the Red Bad Press line of woodblock greeting cards has compiled an online guide (OK, I know, no map) to Portland's quirkier small collections. A museum of velvet paintings is a good rainy-day activity, right? Especially when it is around the corner from some Cuban food.

Bycycle.org Bike Route Map: How did you think you'd get to all of the places on these maps? By bike, of course! This clever site cross-references your directions request with Portland's local bike route maps, determining the safest route for cyclists.

So think of these as a jumping off point for Wintry explorations. As we come across more worthy guides and maps to Portland, we'll be sure to post them here. And who knows, maybe we have a few food tour maps of our own in the works....

No comments: